Re: Guile is a great idea, but where's the community?

From: Richard Todd
Subject: Re: Guile is a great idea, but where's the community?
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:04:29 -0600

Marco Parrone (marc0) wrote:
IMHO what is missing is code to use, libraries, IMHO it's not worthy
the fact that it is standardized or not.

Well, the reason to get them organized and collected is so that you can write new guile code and just assume that users will have the modules you depend on. If you depend on lots of independent libraries, with varying standards for documentation, packaging, backwards-compatibility, and installation, then many would-be users will pass you by. Not to mention the fact that, based on the guile projects web page, sites with interesting-sounding guile code have a habit of disappearing.

For example I'm developing a mail-to-news
(http://www.nongnu.org/mail-to-news) gateway in Guile Scheme, and I'm
finding myself implemeting almost only things already implemented in
Emacs, and now I'm considering rewriting the program in Elisp - thing
that I think will take much less time than finishing it in Guile
Scheme.  As both Guile Scheme and Emacs Lisp are good languages, I can
not justify myself the work required to duplicate the efforts.

In terms of guile, I would think the best thing to do is finish it in scheme, and release all the Emacs-like functionality separately in the form of re-usable modules. That way, you will be the last person who has to go through this pain. IMHO, efforts like that will gain the project the momentum it needs to grow a community of users like the OP was asking for. The library project I'm proposing would give those modules a place to live, get them into the hands of guile users, and guarantee certain standards of quality and consistency.

Richard Todd