Re: New g-wrap supported in guile-gtk--rotty-0.1!

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: New g-wrap supported in guile-gtk--rotty-0.1!
Date: 04 Dec 2003 18:21:34 +0100

Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> writes:

[ First of all: Thanks for the quick answer ]

> Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Yes, I also think that we *have* to get the "time-to-initial-window"
> > at least under 1 second for a hello world program...
>
> GOOPS is, as yet, only optimized for fast execution.  Creation of
> objects and *especially* method creation involves a lot of work, most
> of which is done by interpreted Scheme code.
>
> This is not an architectural problem, though, and it is certainly
> possible to speed things up.
>
> An improvement of method addition on the algorithm level that could
> help this particular case would be to allow for adding multiple
> methods at once.  Presently, every call to scm_add_method involves
> re-computing the methods list of the GF which means that adding N
> methods to a GF is O(N^2).

Ok, so we'd have a scm_add_methods() with this approach, I guess. I'll
have a look into this. I definitly want to have fast bindings when
Guile 1.8 comes out.

> An improvement on the implementation level would be to do part (or
> all) of the work in C.  This, however, should be done with preserved
> respect for the MOP.  Anyone who wants to do this should talk to me
> first.

Best would probably to go for algorithmic performance increase at the
SCM level first and if that doesn't suffice, factor the critical parts
out into C.

> (Unfortunately, I can't do any work on GOOPS right now.  Hopefully
> I'll be able to go over a few issues with GOOPS starting next summer.)

I'll do a bit of code study in the next days/week, and come back to
you when I have questions, if that's OK. Once I've wrapped my head
around the code, I'll try to implement scm_add_methods() and see how
much that gains us.

--
Andreas Rottmann