Re: Rudimentary BASIC->Guile converter

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: Rudimentary BASIC->Guile converter
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:54:36 +0100

Richard Todd wrote:
I've written the start of a BASIC -> Guile converter.
[...]

I don't know if I'll finish it...I guess it depends a little on
whether anyone finds it useful.  That's why I'm posting this message.

Don't feel depressed! :-) Your translator seems quite simple, and the code it generates is readable enough; I think that due to its simplicity it could be useful, at least as a clean example of an X-to-Scheme translator. Probably there aren't so many BASIC-eager hackers in the free software community, but a reference translator from a little language is something useful we still lack. Polish it keeping it as minimal as you can, and publish it. My two cents. :-)

To the website maintainers: why don't the Guile web pages (or the Free Software Directory) link to all the known free software X-to-Guile translators, epsecially the ones implemented in Guile? Having such translators is an important project goal if I understand well, and publicizing the existing ones could stimulate other people to continue the work.

  Bye,

--
Luca Saiu, maintainer of GNU epsilon
http://www.gnu.org/software/epsilon