Re: guile needed ?????

From: Thamer Al-Harbash
Subject: Re: guile needed ?????
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:11:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, emim limam wrote:

> I installed rest of the needed rpms but guile is also
> installed (version guile-1.6.0-1mdk.rmp) . i found it
> in my usr/share folder but it is still saying that
> conflict detected and conflict is guile=1.6 is needed
> by gnumeric-1.0.12=mdk and than it aborts the
> installation.

You need 1.6. You probably have 1.4 installed. To check just run
"guile --version."

No idea how Mandrake handles different rpms of different
versions. I do know that guile 1.6 is mostly backward compatible
with guile 1.4 No idea on binary compatiblity though.

My advice is to install guile 1.6 via source in /usr/local and
build gnumeric against it.

What you're experiencing is a common problem when you rely on
your "Linux vendor" to keep your software up to date. You're at
the mercy of their packaging system and when you try to move away
from it some things can be tricky.

--
Thamer Al-Harbash
GPG Key fingerprint: D7F3 1E3B F329 8DD5 FAE3  03B1 A663 E359 D686 AA1F