Re: Scheme translator

From: Joshua Judson Rosen
Subject: Re: Scheme translator
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:24:31 -0400

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 07:42:40AM +0100, Neil Jerram wrote:

>     Daniel> Hello everyone,
>     Daniel> Has the Guile community considered a Python to Scheme
> translator/compiler?
>     Daniel> I'm very interested in such a project and hope others are too.
>
> Thomas Bushnell (of Hurd fame) was working on one, but AFAIK hasn't
> shared any of the result yet.

Actually, he's got a project set-up on Savannah:

          http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gpc

There is some code in CVS.

I'm not sure what his intent is with this--if he's listening, I'd love
to hear it. I'd also love to hear what Daniel's is.

The reasons that I've imagined for writing a `Python-to-Guile
translator' are:

        * To convert Python's libraries for use with/from Guile

        * To use Guile's libraries from Python (Sam Rushing was
          planning to do this with Lunacy, at some point--I think that
          his main reason was that he saw it as the easiest path to a
          Python with call/cc)

        * Adding a Python-like extension-language to embedded-Guile
          applications.

I guess it's really only two fundamental categories:

        * A platform for new Python code (like, say, Jython)

        * Compatibilty with existing Python code

And they seem very different....

--
"Computing is based on utility, performance, efficiency, and cleverness.
 Where are beauty, compassion, humanity, morality,