Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: 1.6.0 problems with libguilereadline-v-12 and fix
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:18:04 -0400

Rob Browning <address@hidden> wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
>> May i point at similar sugestions i posted a while ago ;-) Libltdl
>> does provide API calls to modify the search path at runtime.  Why
>> don't we extend dynamic linking like this:
>
> That has the same fundamental problem as setting LD*_LIBRARY_PATH
> unless we only modify the value briefly, and *every* time we call
> lt_dlopen (still an interesting suggestion).

That's what Ralf's code does, IIUC.

> The rest are publically available and it apps are expected to link
> directly against them.

For the ones that use ld.so to do their linking, they can already be
configured to find the libraries with -rpath.  For the ones that use
libltdl, the most general fix would be to make libltdl search the same
places that ld.so would; then -rpath will work for them too.

paul