Re: 1.5.6 segfaults on NetBSD/alpha with readline

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: 1.5.6 segfaults on NetBSD/alpha with readline
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 13:54:49 -0700

   From: Greg Troxel <address@hidden>
   Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 08:23:58 -0400

   I have imported 1.5.6 into local CVS, and only fixed some configure
   issues with ipv6 and ltdl search paths (since I use a non-standard
   prefix).

   I believe that the unaligned access is just a warning, and the os
   fixes this up, but it is probably an indication that something is not
   right.

ahh, i just love alpha insn set!  (how about an account on your box in
exchange for guile write privs?  i suppose i can find a cheap alpha
somewhere but it's easier to ask...  :-)

   #0  0x160106170 in _rtld_bind ()
   (gdb) bt
   #0  0x160106170 in _rtld_bind ()
   Cannot access memory at address 0xb43e0010b41e0008.
   (gdb) x/i 0x160104398

   t12            0x8      8

my guess from the name is that the error occured in the run-time
linker/loader, during a callback from libltdl.

the latter is reasoned thus: because "normal" alignment is enforced by
system compilation toolchain, it seems to me the only way unaligned
access can sneak through is via run-time constructs; who would want to
do such things except libtool?

on the other hand, i notice from the symbols-loading list that qthreads
is absent.  are you configuring "--with-threads"?  does adding/removing
that configure option change the observed behavior?

can you link against debug versions of the system libraries?  a more
informed backtrace would be helpful.

thi