easy question: getting shell output?

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: easy question: getting shell output?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:02:26 +0000

Hi all!

(I think this is my first post to the list)

I'm having a small problem capturing the output of
a shell command.

I want the output of 'ls -1' to be stored in a
variable which I will later split into a list.

I've tried the obvious things like changing the
default output port to a newly created string port
but no matter what I try the output always gets
displayed to my terminal.

This must be a common situation, I've read the
guile reference and the guile tutorial but can't
find an answer.

any pointers would be appreciated.

Ciaran O'Riordan