Re: The 1.6.1 release.

From: Mr. Peter Ivanyi
Subject: Re: The 1.6.1 release.
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 14:00:56 +0100

Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

>    From: Evan Prodromou <address@hidden>
>    Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 16:13:39 -0600
>
>    So, for my own clarification, once 1.5.x becomes "blessed" into 1.6.x,
>    what happens in CVS? Will there still be 2 branches, one stable and
>    one unstable? Or will a third branch, 1.9.x, start happening at that
>    point? Or later, when 1.7.x is starting to look like 1.8.x?

> to do a good determination means we need to define what are the criteria
> for stability so that we can measure the living tree against it.  there
> is now workbook/build/stability.text (currently empty) -- everyone
> please feel free to suggest items to add to that file.  [cc guile-user]

<rant>
Personally I "hate" the current situation with 2 development branches and I
would
really hate to have 3 or more development branches.
So far I could not figure out what is the difference between 1.5.x and 1.7.x and
why do 1.7.x exist at all ?
</rant>

Anyway, I would suggest that "bugs", which do not crash guile, should not be
considered as "show-stoppers". For example, if I understand this bug

1004-socket-accept-blocks-all-threads

just behaves in an unexpected way but guile still runs and maybe certain
applications will have difficulty to use it, or cannot simply use it. So let
just live with it for the moment.

Secondly, a sort of common decision can be made about the main improvements in
the
next release. For example for 1.8 all gh interface should be transfered to scm.
This would mean that all related bugs should be fixed, but other
non-crashing bugs can be fixed, but are not going to stop the release.

                                                Peter Ivanyi