Guile 1.4 / Cygwin / TeXmacs

From: Marciano Siniscalchi
Subject: Guile 1.4 / Cygwin / TeXmacs
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 21:37:54 -0500

Hi,

I am trying to get TeXmacs (www.texmacs.org) to run under Win32 using the CygWin tools and XFree86/Cygwin32. TeXmacs uses Guile as its scripting language.

Here's the problem. I compiled Guile 1.4, and everything seems fine---at least in the sense that the command-line REPL works, and the tortoise tutorials work as advertised.

TeXmacs (0.3.5.14, the latest version) compiles, but, as soon as it invokes gh_enter, I get an "ERROR: Stack Overflow" message, and the program aborts. Joris (the program author) has increased the stack size to (I believe) 1000000, and indeed the same sources apparently work flawlessly on a "true" Unix platform.

Thus, could it be that there is some weird interaction between Guile and CygWin32? Could it be a gcc/win32 bug? Could it be that TeXmacs is written in C++ (probably not)? Has anybody had any experience with Guile under CygWin? Is there any more extensive test I could run? SOrry for the many questions...

Thanks a lot,
Marciano.