Re: Scheming over a PHP replacement

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Scheming over a PHP replacement
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 16:44:55 +0000

> Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 07:22:52 -0800
> From: Bruce Korb <address@hidden>
> Subject: Scheming over a PHP replacement
>
> In the process of trying to accomplish another project, I
> have created an extensible HTML format that is remarkably
> similar to PHP, except that it uses Guile/Scheme as the
> extension language, instead of whatever PHP's language is.

Arrrrgh, no!  Please!  The world has quite enough problems from in-page
scripting languages without adding another to the pot.  There is already a
Scheme representative in BRL.

Personally, I feel the failure of the popular in-page scripting languages to
encourage *any* "separation of concerns" between layout, presentation and
logic to be one of the saddest things about working on the web today.  The
ones that do often take it to the extreme of enforcing strict MVC splits,
which is also awkward.  There needs to be a middle way.

I don't always get it right, I know, but I will soon release some useful
modules to model "traditional" state-machine-based web applications.  More
on them later.  I'm currently thrashing out database connectivity, as I
think I've mentioned here in the past.