Re: dynamic-link and LD_LIBRARY_PATH

From: Bill Gribble
Subject: Re: dynamic-link and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Date: 17 Dec 2001 11:08:26 -0600

I'm sure rlb will pipe up on this, since we have been dealing with this
type of problem lots lately :(  My impression (which may be wrong) is
that you're probably not having the problem you think you're having.

The "File not found" error does NOT necessarily mean that the file was
not found.  What it means is that lt_dlopen was not able to find a file
that it could successfully open.  This means either that there's no
library named whatever you specified, OR all libraries with matching
names could not be dlopen'ed.  Libraries may be un-dlopenable if they
have unresolved external symbols.

If you force a .so file to be opened, you must have already dlopened any
other shared libs that the .so needs symbols from or you will see a
"File not found" error.

If you open the .la file instead of the .so, or better yet don't specify
any extension at all, you'll have a better chance of getting the libs
you need loaded automatically.  Assuming that the person who built the
library actually linked it against everything it needs.

b.g.