Re: Better support for transition to guile-1.6

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Better support for transition to guile-1.6
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 00:25:31 -0500

Steve Tell <address@hidden> writes:

> I was able to get libqthreads and libguilereadline pushed into a
> subdirectory simply with "configure --libdir=/usr/lib/guile-$VERSION"
> Guile itself ran and found libguile OK, but was unable to find additional
> .so's with dynamic-call (for example, libguilereadline).
>
> I'd need to learn more about libtool and dynamic linking in guile to fix
> this.

All you have to do is make sure that the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or
LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH) contains the relevant directory.  Guile *could*
just append it's internal directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or
LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH) at startup, but the would have to be done in code
that's loaded even if you're just using libguile, and we'd need to
think carefully about interactions with any LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH that may
already be in effect when this code runs.

The other option might be adding an -rpath to guile for the internal
lib dir.

> But does it seem reasonable that configure and the Makefiles should always
> try to arrange for a libdir that isn't in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
> /etc/ld.so.conf to work for loading the guile-internal libs?

Good question.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu