Re: Gurus? Care to re-explain the absense of gh_set_x() for me?

From: Sam Tregar
Subject: Re: Gurus? Care to re-explain the absense of gh_set_x() for me?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:24:41 -0400 (EDT)

On 13 Jul 2001, Alex Shinn wrote:

> If what was pointing to a?

My SCM operand could be bound to a global define or be part of a list
or a value in a hash or...

> In Perl, you probably just want to point to the same Perl value, which
> contains an SCM.  Mutating functions would then just bind this to a
> new SCM.

Actually, it's problematic on the Perl side as well since I'm binding each
unique SCM to a unique Perl object.  Don't worry about that side of things
tho - Perl programmers are used to the problematic properties of
assignment on references.

> bar would be 6, but foo would still be 5.  So Perl can work with
> SCM's, and if you want Perl can define/set values in Guile, but you're
> probably trying to do the wrong thing if you want
>
>   $foo += 1;
>
> in Perl to modify an existing Scheme variable.

Fair enough.  In some ways this project is specifically about trying to do
the wrong thing!  Who could call it right for Perl and Guile to work
together?

-sam