Re: No gh_set_x()?

From: Sam Tregar
Subject: Re: No gh_set_x()?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 19:27:00 -0400 (EDT)

On 10 Jul 2001, Evan Prodromou wrote:

>     ST> Hey guys.  I'm working on a Perl binding for Guile
>
> This is a REALLY SICK PROJECT, just in case you need someone to tell
> you that. B-)

Yup.  In fact, I fully expect it to make Larry Wall physically ill.

> Have you thought about, instead, synching up with Thomas Bushnell
> (sp?)? You could make a Perl-to-Guile translator, similar to the one
> he's doing for Python.

Why would I want to do that?  I'm a Perl programmer that wants to dabble
in Guile not a masochist!  There's a popular saying in the Perl community
- "only perl can parse Perl."

> (Speaking of which -- is there any code available yet?)

Nope, but there will be soon.  It'll be a dual pre-release of Guile.pm,
which is the core binding, and Inline::Guile, which is the syntactic sugar
that will let Perl programmers add Guile procedures to their code almost
seamlessly.  You should be able to get it off CPAN sometime in the next
couple weeks.

> (Speaking of which again -- is the design anywhere similar to the old
> ctax module? Is there anything abstracted out so that new syntaxes
> (syntaces?) can be added easily?)

ctax?  I have no idea what that is!

Ah! I see.  I said "Perl binding for Guile".  I should have said "Guile
binding for Perl".  Now I get it.  Sorry for causing your confusion.

-sam