Re: Debugging with PSD

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Debugging with PSD
Date: 28 Jun 2001 18:45:58 +0100

    Thomas> Hi!  address@hidden writes:

    >> I'm interested in putting some time into getting Guile
    >> debugging working.  Would you (plural) say that PSD provides a
    >> good definition of what you are looking for in a debugger?
    >> What are the most important debugging features?

    Thomas> Just a quick overview. PSD has (in its own tiny command
    Thomas> language): [...]

    Thomas> What is missing from my point of view (much inspired by
    Thomas> gdb):

    Thomas> * Conditional breakpoints * Watchpoints * Finish * A
    Thomas> command language to define new commands and possibly run
    Thomas> loops etc

Thanks for the input!  I have a plan in mind that will cover - I think
- all of this.  (Details coming soon to guile-devel...)

    Thomas> Then, I would want R5RS compliance (maybe only tedious
    Thomas> work, for arbitrary large values of 'only'), and support
    Thomas> for syntax-case/syntax-rules macros, and that's probably
    Thomas> very difficult ...

Yes.  My plan so far uses the traps that the evaluator provides; I'm
not sure what that will mean for macros, either R5RS or defmacro, but
it'll be easy enough to try it out and see.

        Neil