Re: Debugging with PSD

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: Debugging with PSD
Date: 28 Jun 2001 09:24:00 -0400

    Thomas> What is missing from my point of view (much inspired by
    Thomas> gdb):

    Thomas> * Conditional breakpoints * Watchpoints * Finish * A
    Thomas> command language to define new commands and possibly run
    Thomas> loops etc

Also from gdb, Skip is very nice.  Though I'm not sure what this would
mean for arbitrary sexps... maybe start by only allowing Skip at the
top level and in lambda/let bodies, then optionally extend to "Skip as
#t/#f" for conditional tests, and "Skip as value" for arbitrary
expressions.

    Thomas> Some of these could possibly already be done via the
    Thomas> procedure calls mentioned above, but it would be nice to a
    Thomas> more convenient way ...

    Thomas> Then, I would want R5RS compliance (maybe only tedious
    Thomas> work, for arbitrary large values of 'only'), and support
    Thomas> for syntax-case/syntax-rules macros, and that's probably
    Thomas> very difficult ...

Maybe when you encounter a macro, remember it and the expanded version
in the instrumentation data, and either save the expanded form in a
temp file to step through, or create a special output syntax for the
current file/line which Emacs would know to request the macro body and
display it in a *macro* buffer.

And if you want the ultimate Guile debugger (to answer your question
all that's really important is step/get/set :) it would be nice to be
able to step back and forth through both Scheme and C interchangeably.
After all, Guile is designed for embedding/extending.  I'm not sure
how this would be done though... maybe run an inferior C debugger in a
subprocess?

--
Alex Shinn <address@hidden>
Lisper, Smalltalker, and all around poor speaker