guile-gui 0.1 available

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: guile-gui 0.1 available
Date: 09 Mar 2001 18:43:07 +0000

The initial release of guile-gui is now available at:

  http://www.ossau.uklinux.net/guile/guile-gui-0.1.tar.gz

A few weeks back we had a discussion here about adding a Guile REPL to
graphical applications.  guile-gui emerged from my experiments in how
one might do this.  In retrospect, a lot of what I said during that
discussion is pretty inaccurate - apologies for that.  In particular,
it's really quite easy to pull together a Gtk widget that does most of
what we already like about Readline, and it doesn't involve
reimplementing an equivalent of most of Readline.  Or, to put it
another way, the GtkEntry widget already _has_ a lot of Readline-like
editing functionality, such as C-a, C-e, etc.

What I've done isn't yet hugely original.  guile-gui's current
function is broadly similar to the C and C++ implementations posted by
Bill Schottstaedt and Brett Viren.  But guile-gui is implemented in
Scheme.  Personally, I find Scheme programming to be more fun and more
conducive to later extension.  YMMV, as ever.

So, as the README says...

  "guile-gui is a collection of Guile Scheme code that aims to implement
  a graphical user interface for Guile.

  The operative word here is "aims".  It's very early days yet."

I've tried to write the code such that its components are very easily
reusable in other applications.

I'd be very happy to receive suggestions, bug reports and feedback of
all kinds.

        Neil