Suggestion for renamings

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Suggestion for renamings
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:49:06 +0100 (MET)

Hello.

I suggest the following renamings (i. e. deprecating the previous names):

SCM_MOST_POSITIVE_FIXNUM --> SCM_FIXNUM_MAX
SCM_MOST_NEGATIVE_FIXNUM --> SCM_FIXNUM_MIN
'most-positive-fixnum    --> 'fixnum-max
'most-negative-fixnum    --> 'fixnum-min

These names fit better in the naming scheme that is used in limits.h.  In
addition I suggest to also provide 'fixnum-bit on the scheme level.  (Now
Mikael will be smiling, because not a long time ago I was argueing against
providing 'most-positive-fixnum and 'most-negative-fixnum on the scheme
level at all :-).  So, why that?  It is useful for guile's test-suite.  I
have realized that some of the recently fixed bugs would have been
detected much earlier if it was possible to perform real boundary testing
in the test-suite instead of just performing a couple or arbitrary tests.
Especially the boundary between fixnums and bignums appeared to be of
interest there.

If nobody objects, I will apply the corresponding patch.  Better
suggestions are certainly welcome.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann