Re: readline patch for 1.4.0

From: Harvey J. Stein
Subject: Re: readline patch for 1.4.0
Date: 18 Sep 2000 08:18:50 -0400

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

 > # Thus, we need a way for Fred to tell the ME package that he wants
 > # the linker to invoked in this fashion
 > #
 > #   cc -o me me.o -L/home/fred/lib -L/usr/lib -lfoo -lbar
 > #
 > # because he knows that he wants the /home/fred prefix to shadow the
 > # /usr prefix.  (On the other hand, only ME knows that it wants to
 > # have -lfoo precede -lbar.)

1. This might not work depending on dependencies btw foo & bar.
2. What about dispensing with -L & -l, using:

      cc -o me me.o /usr/lib/foo.a /home/fred/lib.a

   instead?  This leads to other problems - like the configuration
   script figuring out which version & type of library to use instead
   of of the linker, but it at least makes sure the linker does what
   the configuration script wants.

--
Harvey Stein
Bloomberg LP