Re: Octave and Guile?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave and Guile?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:58:04 -0500 (CDT)

On 15-Sep-2000, Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> wrote:

| (BTW, with GOOPS, it is possible to let the ordinary numerical
| operators + - * / work on vectors and matrices too without loosing any
| performance in operations on numbers.)

Yes, I think GOOPS would be very important to a project like this.

| Anders Sandberg and I have written a matrix library for Guile + GOOPS
| which provides Matlab-like functionality:
|
|   http://www.nada.kth.se/~mdj/guile/matrix-1.0.1.tar.gz

Thanks for the pointer.

| I think I have learnt from this and have some ideas about what should
| be improved when making a new matrix library.

I'd be interested in any ideas you might have.  I'm planning to put
together a similar list of problems with Octave/Matlab and mistakes
that should be avoided in the future.

| If you have gnuplot, you can do:
|
| guile> (define x (.. 0 6.28 0.1))
| guile> (plot x (sin x))
| guile> (hold)
| Plot held
| guile> (plot x (cos x))
|
| But, probably, a real plotting interface should use GTk.

I agree that Gnuplot has some serious limitations.  Octave's interface
to it (using the gplot command, if you are familiar with Octave) was a
bad mistake that I do not intend to repeat.

What about Vtk (http://www.kitware.com/vtk.html)?  I believe that it
is now distributed under terms that are compatible with the GPL
(http://www.kitware.com/vtkhtml/vtkdata/CopyRight.html).  It could
provide really powerful visualization capabilities.  There are
bindings for Tcl, Python, and Java.  Is anyone interested in working
on bindings for Guile?

Thanks,

jwe