guile-gtk-general

gnome-canvas-pixbuf: lack of #:parent considered harmful!

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: gnome-canvas-pixbuf: lack of #:parent considered harmful!
Date: 26 Jan 2005 19:14:24 -0500

guile 1.6.5, guile-gnome-platform 2.7.96, NetBSD 2.0/i386, pretty
recent gnome 2.8 bits.

I made a pixbuf:
  (gdk-pixbuf-new-from-file "bbn.png")

and then a canvas pixbuf:

         (cpixbuf (make <gnome-canvas-pixbuf>))

And then it blew up with a segfault in the gnome canvas code.

Adding "#:parent canvas-root" to the initializer made everthing work fine.

So guile-gnome-platform has a bug in that it doesn't fail canvas
initializers with no parent.  The argument isn't optional in C, so
presumably it is semantically required.  I think this is a generic
issue for canvas items.  Fixing this is way beyond my level of
g-wrap-fu...

--
        Greg Troxel <address@hidden>