guile-gtk-general

Roadmap to 2.8 platform bindings

From: Patrick Bernaud
Subject: Roadmap to 2.8 platform bindings
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:00:20 +0200

Hi all,

Andy Wingo writes:
 > [...]
 >      I. I'll say it at the top while lurkers are still reading: we could
 >         really use some help, especially working up some test cases.
 >         There's the beginnings of guile-gtk-demo in the source tree, but
 >         it only has a couple examples. Translate from C, or easier from
 >         python, and just chuck the new examples in the demos/ directory.
 >         Fun, instructive, easy, and good for guile-gnome.

Now that I succesfully built guile-gnome I think I can contribute to
this translation of the demo from C to guile in order to learn more of
the project and be able to use it my own.

As a first try, I worked on one of these demo, namely the
sizegroup. However I had some problems with how things work with
guile-gnome :

  - how the top part (not the action_area) of a GtkDialog can be
    accessed? one of this dialog is used in this demo. Widgets had to
    be added to this part through the vbox member of the object;

  - what is the guile-gnome syntax to 'OR' flags (if possible at all)?
    For example, how does the following C code translates to guile:
    "GTK_FILL | GTK_EXPAND" (this code is used in the attach options);

  - gtk_dialog_add_button() takes a const pointer on a string as
    parameter 2 and a response id as parameter 3. How does this piece
    of C translate to guile :
        widget = gtk_dialog_add_button(
                        dialog,
                        GTK_STOCK_CLOSE,
                        GTK_RESPONSE_NONE);
    This one works fine but does not use the macros and flags:
        (gtk-dialog-add-button dialog "gtk-close" -1)

Regards,

Patrick