guile-gtk-general

Re: CVS build fixlet

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: CVS build fixlet
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 17:04:52 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> Andreas Rottmann writes:
>
>> What automake version do you use? I've set my automake alternative to
>> automake-1.8:
>
> I'm using 1.7.9
>
>> automake-1.8 doesn't bail out on this, and this $(ACLOCAL_FLAGS)
>> including comes handy when you have .m4 files in locations aclocal
>> doesn't look for by default.
>
> Well, guile CVS does not build with 1.8.
>
> (Oh, how much I'd like to see this rubbish deprecated; auto-foo
> brokenness has eaten unnecessarily much of my hacking time;
> esp. considering how easy it is to write a GNUmakefile by hand.)

I agree. We really need a better buildsystem than auto-foo.

>> ivanova:~/src/contrib/g-wrap/_build% dlocate -S `which autoconf`
>> autoconf: /usr/bin/autoconf
>>
>> So with autoconf installed, this doesn't seem to be necessary.
>
> Hmm.  I just saw autoconf-x.yz, which I do not have, and my
> /usr/bin/autoconf bailed out...
>
> $ dlocate -S `which autoconf`
> autoconf2.13: /usr/bin/autoconf
> autoconf2.13: /usr/bin/autoconf2.13
> autoconf2.13: /usr/bin/autoconf-wrapper
> autoconf: /usr/bin/autoconf
>
> $ autoconf --version
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
>
> Sigh.  Of course, I need autoconf-2.13 for tetex development.

You should be able to set $AUTOMAKE and $AUTOCONF to work around your
problems instead of patching autogen.sh.

Andi
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden

Any technology not indistinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
   -- Terry Pratchett