Re: guile-2.9.1 impressions

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: guile-2.9.1 impressions
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 21:28:11 +0200

Hi!

On Thu 06 Dec 2018 06:21, Linas Vepstas <address@hidden> writes:

> After sending the email below, I scanned the guile-devel archives,
> and I see Thomas Morley talking about Lilypond performance.
> The example program he offers up caught my eye: nested deep
> in a loop is this:
>
> (eval-string "'(a b c)")

In this case I believe Guile 2.9 / 3 should be significantly faster than
2.2, because `eval' is compiled to native code rather than bytecode.  My
measurements showed it to be on par with the hand-optimized C
implementation from 1.8 and before.  Depends of course on how much the
expander is part of your workload, there are differences relative to
Guile 1.8.  Anyway, thanks for the note and I just wanted to mention
this point.

Regarding Scheme -> C++ transitions, there is the possibility that this
too could be much faster with Guile 2.9.x given that these calls are now
JIT-compiled instead of interpreted.  We'll have to see.

Cheers,

Andy