Re: FOSDEM 2019

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: FOSDEM 2019
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 17:08:46 -0700

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 04:33:53PM +0300, Manolis Ragkousis wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> It's that time of the year again we need to start organizing about
> FOSDEM. We have a deadline for the 20th of September[1] to apply for a
> devroom. We also need to start looking for a place for this year's
> fringe event!

Hi.

In your list, you mention "encouraging newbies" and "encouraging
diversity".  In that category, I could do a talk on my experiments in
writing interactive fiction in Scheme.  Interactive fiction tools like
Twine have been a first step for many young programmers, and tools
like Twine have been adopted by many young LGBT authors.  If we could
make the syntax simple and obvious enough, maybe an interactive
fiction tool in Guile could be useful.

But the technical challenge of making a simple tool has been
surprisingly complicated in interesting ways.

I went ahead and threw that up on the libreplanet wiki for now

Regards,
Mike Gran