Re: guile 3 update, june 2018 edition

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guile 3 update, june 2018 edition
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 11:28:23 +0200

Hello!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:

> The news is that the VM has been completely converted over to call out
> to the Guile runtime through an "intrinsics" vtable.  For some
> intrinsics, the compiler will emit specialized call-intrinsic opcodes.
> (There's one of these opcodes for each intrinsic function type.)  For
> others that are a bit more specialized, like the intrinsic used in
> call-with-prompt, the VM calls out directly to the intrinsic.
>
> The upshot is that we're now ready to do JIT compilation.  JIT-compiled
> code will use the intrinsics vtable to embed references to runtime
> routines.  In some future, AOT-compiled code can keep the intrinsics
> vtable in a register, and call indirectly through that register.

Exciting!  It sounds like a really good strategy because it means that
the complex instructions don’t have to be implemented in lightning
assembly by hand, which would be a pain.

> My current plan is that the frame overhead will still be two slots: the
> saved previous FP, and the saved return address.  Right now the return
> address is always a bytecode address.  In the future it will be bytecode
> or native code.  Guile will keep a runtime routine marking regions of
> native code so it can know if it needs to if an RA is bytecode or native
> code, for debugging reasons; but in most operation, Guile won't need to
> know.  The interpreter will tier up to JIT code through an adapter frame
> that will do impedance matching over virtual<->physical addresses.  To
> tier down to the interpreter (e.g. when JIT code calls interpreted
> code), the JIT will simply return to the interpreter, which will pick up
> state from the virtual IP, SP, and FP saved in the VM state.

What will the “adapter frame” look like?

> We do walk the stack from Scheme sometimes, notably when making a
> backtrace.  So, we'll make the runtime translate the JIT return
> addresses to virtual return addresses in the frame API.  To Scheme, it
> will be as if all things were interpreted.

Currently you can inspect the locals of a stack frame.  Will that be
possible with frames corresponding to native code? (I suppose that’d be
difficult.)

> My current problem is knowing when a callee has JIT code.  Say you're in
> JITted function F which calls G.  Can you directly jump to G's native
> code, or is G not compiled yet and you need to use the interpreter?  I
> haven't solved this yet.  "Known calls" that use call-label and similar
> can of course eagerly ensure their callees are JIT-compiled, at
> compilation time.  Unknown calls are the problem.  I don't know whether
> to consider reserving another word in scm_tc7_program objects for JIT
> code.  I have avoided JIT overhead elsewhere and would like to do so
> here as well!

In the absence of a native code pointer in scm_tc7_program objects, how
will libguile find the native code for a given program?

Thanks for sharing this plan!  Good times ahead!

Ludo’.