Re: Elisp branch ready for merge (??)

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
Subject: Re: Elisp branch ready for merge (??)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 13:40:41 +0100

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:

> Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer writes:
>
>> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Well, I didn't think I'd have time to do this (and in a sense I didn't)
>>> but:
>>>   https://gitlab.com/dustyweb/guile/tree/merge-bipt-elisp-wip
>>>
>>> I've rebased the whole branch against git master and added ChangeLog
>>> style entries.  "make check" is passing.  It seems to me that it's ready
>>> for merge.  I did the best I could on the ChangeLog additions, both with
>>> my limited ChangeLog experience and from my limited Guile internals
>>> experience.  So, corrections welcome, but otherwise...
>>
>> Exciting!
>>
>> Small remark: the "title" line of the commit messages should be complete
>> sentences.
>
> Yes, though I didn't write them.  I also don't know in each case what a
> complete sentence would be.  I did my best job by filling in the
> ChangeLog style part.  Often times my figuring out the ChangeLog stuff
> was based on some sentence fragment.
>
> Changing the one part that is the original author's writing to something
> different... I can do it by attempting to guess, but I'm worried about
> removing that context.
>
> One thing I could do is leave in the description: "Original title: foo"
>
> What do you think of that?

In some cases it seems the title is already a sentence, just lacking
capitalization and punctuation.  (It seems Guile doesn't have a strict
rule about the punctuation though.)

In other cases it seems like titles that should be "Add foobar" are
shortened to just "foobar", e.g.:

- guile-backtrace function
- eval-when
- fset macro
- defsubst
- compiler macros
- elisp @@ macro

All in all it looks like most titles should be straightforward to fix.
Fixing any would be better than fixing none IMO.  And I'd say mentioning
the original title is unnecessary for the obvious ones, though we should
get Robin's sanctioning for what we do.  Is Robin perhaps available for
some basic feedback?

Taylan