Re: What's needed to get elisp updates into Guile master?

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: What's needed to get elisp updates into Guile master?
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 11:14:36 +0100

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:

> Christopher Allan Webber writes:
>
>> So even better news: I've successfully rebased BT Templeton's wip elisp
>> branch on top of guile master... you can get it here:
>>
>>   https://gitlab.com/dustyweb/guile/tree/merge-bipt-elisp-wip
>>
>> Maybe I should update the Guix package to make use of that?
>
> So I'd like to get this merged in before it bitrots too heavily.
> It would be a shame to not get it in, after how far it's come!

Agreed.

> Now that it's rebased and running on master, there are two issues I see
> that would need to be addressed:
>
>  - The most recent commit disables three tests (specific to elisp).
>    They should probably be re-enabled, or at worst at least commented
>    out with a warning rather than being switched to expect-fail as they
>    are right now.
>
>    I'd prefer re-enabling them with fixes; for now, commenting out with
>    clear explaination still seems better than bitrot though.  (The other
>    tests all do pass.)

I don't understand why you would want to do that. 'expect-fail' is the
correct semantic for a test that should pass but is known to currently
fail, like in TDD.  Do I miss something?

>  - The commits are not in ChangeLog style format and are fairly terse in
>    their message.  I imagine it's a requirement to fix that.  This seems
>    like the bigger challenge; if anyone but the original author were to
>    do it, there would have to be some careful reading to figure out what
>    the purpose of each commit and change meant.  That seems like some
>    work.  I'm not sure I have the time for it... are there any
>    volunteers?

You should bring that on emacs-devel where most people seem to think
that a 'git commit -m "..."' with the actual diff is self explanatory.
:)

Indeed, it seems a tedious job to add those change logs since it
requires to understand the purpose of the commit.  The volunteer should
be familiar with Elisp in general and the limitations of
current/previous Guile implementation.

> Is there general agreement that if we can get these two things done,
> that it would be worth merging this?

I think it would be great.

--
Mathieu Lirzin