Re: Contributions to Guile

From: Chad Albers
Subject: Re: Contributions to Guile
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 11:09:26 -0500

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  It gives a sense of what
contributions would be welcome.  There seems no clear consensus that
there is anything on my list that is drop-dead important.  There
doesn't seem much desire to move beyond the current build system;
while interesting, I'm not getting a strong sense that people would
actually use a package management system (unless "if you build it,
they will come"); textinfo and a length manual seem sufficient to
people, although there is some desire to update look and feel.
Overall these are big projects that I'm not sure would be accepted by
guile maintainers.

I think I might work on the least controversial, and the one that Ludo
seemed interested in - de-icing of ice-9 modules and other namespaces
towards more semantically meaningful identifiers.  How about I draw up
a proposal and post it to this list?

--
Chad