Re: New logo and website design proposal

From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo
Subject: Re: New logo and website design proposal
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 11:18:48 -0500

On 2015-09-21 15:40, address@hidden wrote:
Hello!

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <address@hidden> skribis:

As part of the Guile project I imagine, I'd like to propose these
visual modifications for the logo and the website.

Logo
https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/guile-logo-proposal-2015-06-16.png

I like it!

Website mockup (some rough sketches here)
https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/website-mockup-2015-09-15.png

My intention with this proposal is, hopefully, to modernize the image
of the project a bit and make it more attractive to potential users.

This is amazing!  I really like the web site mockup.  The drawings are
just awesome.

Glad to hear that :)

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:

First of all, I think this looks *amazing*! Will it keep these kind of
nice black and white drawings, or will the final result have a more
refined look?  Either way, I like the childrens' book type
illustrations. (My request would be that if they do become colored, the
two children-programmers whose bodies are somewhat visible have
different skin tones for diversity reasons.  I think they look gender
ambiguous enough because of the suits.)  Honestly I think the rough
black and white versions look very nice as-is though, and I am not sure
how to color them without a kind of watercolor look.  Very "Where the
Wild Things Are" meets robots.  A good combination!

I would leave them as is; I think it’s fine without colors.

Second, a friend of mine pointed out a couple of things:

 - The "Guile is an extension language platform" section gives the
impression maybe overly that it's an extension language far and above
   being an independent language.  Guile is certainly optimized for
   this, especially for legacy reasons, but more and more Guile
   applications seem to be written entirely within Guile itself.

+1

 Maybe the text could be something like:

     "Guile contains a neat and highly optimized virtual machine.

Or rather “… an efficient compiler and virtual machine.”

     It can be used out of the box to write programs in Scheme, or
     can easily be integrated with C and C++ programs.

     Guile is the GNU Ubiquitous Intelligent Language for Extensions,
     and the official extension language of the GNU project."

+1

Ok, I'm taking note of this.

 - It may be nice to show code examples.  Lisp is often interpreted as
   being hard to read; I have found that a nice theme and
   rainbow-parentheses has reduced that fear for some users.  Here's
   some examples of screenshots I have taken of my own emacs with
   various lisps... none of them are perfect, and this isn't scheme
   code, but to get the general idea:

     http://dustycloud.org/tmp/emacs_lisp_setup.png
       ^- Probably could do without the highlighting?

     http://dustycloud.org/tmp/emacs-rainbow-all-the-things.png
       ^- Probably could do without the rainbow-delimeters?

     http://dustycloud.org/tmp/emacs_wombat.png
       ^- Something different, but also a nice theme

   I'm not 100% confident on this; showing "real code" might actually
   clutter things or make things more intimidating.  The present
   design I think is fairly intimidation-free.

Maybe these could go under “Getting Started”?

I like what racket-lang.org does with the cycling code examples.  An
option would be to still their idea (and code? ;-)).

I'll add a code section then, with placeholder examples.

Other comments:

  • In the “Extend applications” part, I would remove Lua, move ECMA to
    the back on the drawing, and add Scheme to the front; we might even
    replace ECMA with C.  In general, we don’t want to emphasize
    multiple-language support, so I would also remove it from the
    heading.

OK.

  • The “Applications” part is a good idea.  Unfortunately, we cannot
(yet!) have LilyPond there (its port to Guile 2.0 is incomplete) and
    TeXmacs (not sure what the status is.)

    Perhaps Guile-Charting, Guile-Present, or Guile-OpenGL would make
    for a nice picture, or maybe Guile-SSH for a black terminal-like
    geeky image?

OK.

  • I noticed with the Guix web site that “Help” is a bit confusing
    since it’s about getting help and not about helping out
    (contributing).

OK. How about "Learn"?

  • I think we can remove “Blog”, but a news section would be welcome,
    possibly with a preview on the main page as you did for Guix?

OK. My idea was to use a Haunt blog, in a git repository where people in the community could contribute posts about anything Guile...

Thanks a lot!

Ludo’.

Thanks for the feedback, Ludo’ :)

With the feedback so far, I'm planning to make a revision of the mockup this weekend to include the suggested changes.

I'll be alert to any other comments in the meantime.

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/