Re: string port encodings

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: string port encodings
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 18:37:47 +0100

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:

>> Otherwise, %default-port-encoding governs (info "(guile) String Ports"):
>
> But why?

Because %default-port-encoding specifies the default port encoding?  :-)

I think that was mostly the reason behind
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/9822>.

> You mention one use case:
>
>> as a smart way to do encoding conversion.
>
> But surely this is not a common case and is adequately handled by
> set-port-encoding!, potentially via an optional argument.

Yes.  So you could change the default string port encoding to UTF-8, and
update the doc accordingly, as I wrote in
<http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11197>:

  In hindsight, UTF-8 does seem like a better default than the locale port
  encoding (which is what %default-port-encoding is, by default), but it
  does remain useful to specify a different encoding.

I just think this may have to wait until 2.2.

WDYT?

Ludo’.