Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, stable-2.0, updated. v2.0.7-25-g99

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, stable-2.0, updated. v2.0.7-25-g990b11c
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 10:17:34 -0500

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:
>> Incidentally, it would be nice to start using texinfo in docstrings, and
>> use (texinfo serialize) to render them.
>
> That’d be ideal, but I wonder whether there are tools around that would
> end up displaying raw Texinfo, such as anything that use
> ‘procedure-documentation’.  Perhaps that can be solved easily.

FWIW, I agree with Andy that it would be good to support texinfo markup
in docstrings.  At present, the docstrings for procedures implemented in
C are much nicer looking than the Scheme ones.  This does not bode well
for future docstrings as we move more code from C to Scheme.

I've been sad to see the recent patches that strip texinfo markup from
docstrings.  That's going in the wrong direction, IMO.  Instead, we
should be bringing Scheme docstrings up to par with their C
counterparts.

Regarding 'procedure-documentation', I think it should return the
rendered version, just like it does for procedures defined in C.

What do you think?

      Mark