Re: thoughts on native code

From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe
Subject: Re: thoughts on native code
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 20:28:04 +0100

Hi, hope that i'm not boring you!

Ok, The next effort will be to investigate the issue of cpu register allocations. Some features noted here is
that 1. some instruction takes vastly more resources than others and we need to track this, I'm leaning on implementing
a version of the linear scan algorithm. This is how I think.

The first issue is that I love to relate everything to costs. So basically if we manage to keep a local variable in a register, we would gain something e.g. g. On the other hand during the intervall of setting and retrieving the local variable we have performed a set of operations e.g w. If we find that g / w is large we would decide that we would gain so much during the interval that we should put it in a register. Or else we do not bother putting it in a register. Now over to a branching for a branch we split up the liveness interval in the number of segments between usages, for such a segment over a branch we would have

[g1, w1] -> { [g2,w2] , [g3,w3] }

Now generally we would like to assign some kind of probability to the different branches and do something like

F = p  * (g1 + g2) / (w1 + w2) + (1-p) * (g1 + g3) / (w1 + w3)

If we do not have any information we just put p = 1/2. The astute reader would realize that this mean a potential
geometrical explosion in the number of terms in the sum let's try

F = g1 / w1 + p (g2 / w2) + (1 -p) (g2/w3)

Nah that's not good either, if g1 is zero we would not amortize over w1, this leads to

g1' = (g1 + L ( p g2/w2 + (1-p) g3 / w3))
F  = g1'/w1

The linear updating will be
p = 1 => g1' = g1 + w1 L* g2/w2

and
F = g1/w1 + L/w1 * g2/w2

How to select L? consider take one w2 for which we think that this _expression_ should be true to the more theoretically compelling e.g.

F = g1/w + g2/(w1 + w2) = g1/w + L * g2/w2

And  we would then conclude to use L = w / (w1+w), and

F = g1/w1 + w / (w1 + w) * (g2 / w2)

Although i'm not certain this is the best, maybe you see a better solution, but the nice thing is that we can build up the solution recursively if we follows this scheme. and for code graph being a tree we could scan the tree only ones and build
up these numbers. This method can be refined.

Anyhow we can take all usages and sum up a F for the start and move forward at each segment for the whole liveness
of the local variable. Now do all this for all variables. Then employ a version of the linear scan algorithm but only select a variable for register allocation if the corresponding F is above a threshold C. Which threshold? Well you could  try to vary F, e.g. Let Q(C) = fraction of allocated registers per unit of time. then select C so that MIN(C s.t. Q(C) > 0.9).

We could refine this method to try vary C over the graph somewhat.

What do you think?

Happy Mathing!!
/Stefan