Re: Will guile support R7RS terminating "equal?" in the presence of cycl

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: Will guile support R7RS terminating "equal?" in the presence of cycle?
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 11:17:15 -0400 (EDT)

I said:
> > I'd really like for there to be a common spec for Scheme with libraries,
> > etc., and my hope is that R7RS will be that spec.

Ian Price:
> Call me a cynic, but if r6rs couldn't do that, then I don't see how r7rs
> could be given that it actively avoids many important portability questions.

Well, the cynics are often right :-).  But I think R7RS is intentionally much
more conservative and R5RS-like.  In particular, it's *supposed* to be easy for
an R5RS implementation to move to R7RS.  If it's easier to adopt, it's more
likely to be adopted.

Scheme is rediculously non-portable due to its lack of a *standard* library
system.  If a standard for *that* could be widely adopted, many other
portability problems would be drastically reduced.

> But we all can dream...

Indeed!

--- David A. Wheeler