Re: Our temporary guildhall package repository down?

From: Ian Price
Subject: Re: Our temporary guildhall package repository down?
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 14:34:56 +0100

Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Nala Ginrut <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> http://rotty.yi.org/doro/experimental is unavailable for me. And ijp
>> said it's the same for him.
>>
>> But Rottmann's site is OK.
>>
> Yeah, seems I didn't copy the repository over when I moved the site onto
> the new host.

Just an FYI, it still isn't up. :-P I know nalaginrut already offered,
but if you can tell me where to find the available.scm format I can look
into hosting this temporarily myself.

>> I think this may let us test guildhall till it really works for Guile
>> at least.  Or we may have one more alternative repository.
>>
> I think guildhall definitly should have an separate repository (hosted
> on official GNU resources), which perhaps might be used in combination
> with dorodango's repository (or repositories). I'd also be happy to have
> some directory on the (proposed) guildhall host to upload dorodango
> (i.e. pure R6RS) packages to.

Agreed, wingo already mentioned having guildhall.gnu.org which would be
good. I also second having a split section for more portable code.

> One thing that needs to be done IMO before a repository (with multiple
> uploaders) is feasible, is a (secure) way to upload.  I wrote a script
> some time ago based on the idea of an anonymous upload directory, which
> packagers would upload packages along with detached GPG signatures.  If
> signatures are valid and are made be a a group of people inside a GPG
> keyring (i.e. allowed uploaders), these get moved into the actual
> repository.  This is similiar (in principle) to how Debian's incoming
> queue works.

I'm currently looking into whether or not it is feasible to reuse the
code from the elisp marmalade repo code for hosting and providing a web
interface to dorodango packages. I already have a working installation,
but I haven't played with it much yet.

To other guilers,
guildhall/dorodango has languished this year compared to the other goals
of guile-emacs and nicer compilation. I would like this to change. I
don't know if I will be able to change its fortunes, but I would
appreciate help in testing it. In particular, if you have pure scheme
libraries that you would like included, I would be much obliged if you
would email me links to them. (private may be best, so as not to spam
the list).

--
Ian Price -- shift-reset.com

"Programming is like pinball. The reward for doing it well is
the opportunity to do it again" - from "The Wizardy Compiled"