Re: patch to guile to allow c-code closure interaction for logic program

From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe
Subject: Re: patch to guile to allow c-code closure interaction for logic programming
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 21:13:06 +0200

I use this method to interop c-code compiled logic programs o guile,

note: I saw that there have been restructuring the call logic somewhat meaning that
the dispatching to the logic c code get's a little more expensive and a little more different then presented below bot hey we can fix my code later on!

Assume that we add a check for a data-structure representing a c code closure that is located last in the chain of tests for special callable structures just to be defensive to other
systems who want to call!

this check in call, tail-call and mv-call can then point to the different goto labels in the supplied file (let's forget about mv-call for now) Then the execution of the c-code will be done by starting a trampoline. This trampoline assumes c functions that takes an argument representing the call stack, the number of arguments, a pointer to the list of closure variables and optionally a pointer representing the end of the stack. the function assumes it return a integer. If it is possitive then there has been a new function and arguments loaded into the old functions possition e.g. an ordinary tail call from c land, the integer is the number of arguments for this tail call. If the integer is negative then a return has been done with the absolute value of the return representing the number of returned values - useful information for mv-call logic.

Currently the c closure is represented as a cons of a tag with a vector consisting of an integerization of the function pointer and closure data. This should be changed later on but for now it's the right thing because of the transparancy. (later on a smob would be a better fit)

By the way smob checks seems to be a little expensive, I noted that my logic code spend a lot of time in these smob tests and wonders if the tests for smob identity can be optimized?

So the basic code for handling this logic is attached to this document.

Coding c code using this method is error prone and perhaps not that useful as an official interface to C-land. On the other hand I have a macro system in scheme that transform a mix of scheme and C inspired language out to C and using this system the interfacing is automated (I can actually write logic programming code and it compiled it directly to C). It's just a proof of concept right now and is a way to test the limits of the logic framework (guile-log) I've coded on for some time.

So Comments lpease there might be some details I'm missing and also iI wouldlike to have comments if it would be possible to include such a system and maybe put it in relation to how we intend to use naitive code in the future! On the other hand, apart from the bloat, the wished for changes to the code base is not that intrusive so we could as well implement this
so that people can play with the logic system even on the c-level without needing to recompile a patched guile!

/Stefan

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed 09 May 2012 18:07, Stefan Israelsson Tampe <address@hidden> writes:

> I post here a directory of patches and code that can be used to enhance guile to interact nicely
> with logic programming code written in C. I can reach very good performance using this tool
> please have a look and comment on it.

Would you mind attaching them to the message directly?  It's easier to
read and comment that way.

If you want, you can do the linux kernel thing of one patch per
message.  But as you like.

Cheers,

Andy
--