Comments on ‘wip-nio’

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Comments on ‘wip-nio’
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 23:39:20 +0100

Hello,

I had a quick look at ‘wip-nio’, and here are initial comments.

  • epoll is Linux-specific.  Any idea how a more multi-platform API
    could be provided?  I guess libevent could be used, but we don’t
    want to add one more dependency in 2.0.  How much is (ice-9 nio)
    dependent on epoll vs. poll, for instance?

  • ‘nio’ doesn’t seem very descriptive to me; ‘nbio’ maybe?

  • I agree that it’s an important problem to address, and I like the
    use of coroutines, and I like that it actually solves the problem
    for some applications like the web server.

    However, I think the approach has shortcomings: (1) it doesn’t
    accept other sources of events (timers, mouse clicks, etc.), and
    (2) it doesn’t allow you to do something while waiting (of course,
    other threads/waiters get scheduled, but the caller is just
    waiting, so you can’t for instance update your progress bar while
    waiting for your bytevector to arrive.)

    Functional reactive programming à la FrTime [0], and synchronous
    reactive programming à la HipHop [1] seem to be much more generic
    and expressive.  It would be great if Guile would come with such a
    framework eventually.  It’s probably more work, though, so it
    probably makes sense to have an alternative mechanism in the
    meantime.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.