Re: Google Summer of Code 2012

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2012
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 21:18:01 -0500

I do not know if that idea is still valid. However, here are two more
to add to that list:

- Integration with Emacs. Guile has a very-nearly-complete
implementation of Elisp. We'd like to get it to the point that it can
actually run Emacs, and see if we can implement GNU's editor better
than the standard Elisp interpreter. This project will require
converting Emacs' C code to use Guile's object system, and possibly
working on an Emacs Lisp compiler implemented in Scheme.

- Compilation and speed. Guile has a pretty good compiler right now,
but we always want more speed. The student could take this in
different directions depending on interest. One idea that could take
about a summer is to compile Guile to a register virtual machine
instead of the current stack VM.

I would love to help with either of these, although I am not sure I
know enough to be the only mentor for them.

Noah