Re: guildhall status

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: guildhall status
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 20:53:54 +0200

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi!
>
> An update on the guild-hall.
>
> On Fri 15 Jul 2011 13:55, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>   git clone git://gitorious.org/~wingo/dorodango/guildhall.git
>
> It is still here, with lots of activity, mostly administrative.  It can
> now be installed, has minimal docs (from dorodango), and passes
> distcheck.  I trimmed dependencies and otherwise folded things under the
> (guild ...) namespace.
>
> Also it is the (guild ...) namespace right now -- I am having trouble
> with metaphors.  It seems like the guild-hall package doesn't actually
> install the guild hall, more like it gives access to guild halls that
> might be on the internet.  Anyway, something to figure out.  I think
> that the right answer will come once I move the commands down from under
> "guild hall" -- so "guild update" instead of "guild hall update".

Yeah, maybe a "hall" is what dorodango calls (in its somewhat
old-fashioned way ;-)) a "repository".

>> Next up:
>>
>>   1) Check status of dorodango functionality.
>>   2) Fix things that don't work.
>>   3) Profit?
>>   4) Start thinking about hosting and accounts and UX and stuff.
>
> I still haven't made much progress on the first three, but as regards
> the last:
>
>> I will see if I can get work to sponsor a server that we can use, and
>> see if we can get it aliased to guildhall.gnu.org -- unless someone else
>> would like to provide the server.  It would be nice to have root on that
>> server, FWIW.  It could be a VM.
>
> Igalia did kindly offer, but Ludovic made the good point that we should
> try the FSF first, and they do seem to be able to host a VM for us, so
> we will probably use the FSF.
>
> But beyond hosting the bundles and available.scm, I am still not clear
> on what guildhall.gnu.org should offer.  It should probably have a
> facility for submitting packages, along with a GPG keyring.  Perhaps it
> should run tests on the whole guildhall archive every so often, for
> consistency and also for style perhaps.  Perhaps it should host
> documentation.  Who knows!

I've been hacking on two things in this general area:

- A Scheme script to allow updates to a repository, verifying uploaded
  packages (from a local directory) against a GPG keyring using detached
  signatures (using gpgv(1) for signature verification).

- A web interface somewhat similiar to <http://packages.debian.org>,
  based on SSAX and the ocelotl libsoup-based HTTPd.  Perhaps I will
  implement the ocelotl HTTPd API on top of Guile's webserver -- this
  would allow code to be shared quite seamlessly.

I can push both, if there's interest, but the web interface is in its
very early stages ATM.

Regards, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann -- <http://rotty.yi.org/>