Re: Building without posix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Building without posix
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:17:57 +0200

Hello!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:

> I think we should focus on the GNU system, using gnulib to adapt other
> systems to look like GNU.  Disabling POSIX bindings helps no one on the
> GNU system -- if the question is one of library size, the solution
> should be loadable modules, not compile-time options.  We are doing very
> well in that way.  A stripped libguile is 1.5MB, like libc.

I think the compile-time option can be useful when building on a “raw”
or old system, which doesn’t support all the POSIX bits we wrap, or on a
slow system.

For instance, when we port Guile to run on the bare metal, we’ll be
happy that ‘--disable-posix --disable-networking --disable-threads’
nicely delimits the contour of what we need, won’t we?

> That said, I don't like a lot of our POSIX bindings.  It's in the
> default module, and it's lots of symbols.  But it's probably best to
> migrate to some more modularized world using deprecation than to
> continue with the --disable-posix fantasy.

Yeah.  I think it’s been on the to-do list since 1.4.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.