Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, stable-2.0, updated. v2.0.1-33-ga2

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, stable-2.0, updated. v2.0.1-33-ga2a6c0e
Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 01:30:01 +0200

On Sat 07 May 2011 20:27, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>>     * libguile/vm-engine.c (vm_engine): Cache the scm_i_thread* instead of
>>       the dynstate, so we can use the thread for ticks.
>
> What effect does it have on performance?  Registers are scarce on x86...

I did this because there were several million __tls_getaddr calls when
compiling psyntax.scm, which presumably are more expensive than either a
cached memory ref or a register.  In any case it's not more local vars
than before...

But that's not your question.  Answer: I'm pretty sure it's an
improvement, but it would be good to see numbers :)

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/