Re: Just to mention: Why there's still not any guile-2.0 packages in lin

From: Dmitry Dzhus
Subject: Re: Just to mention: Why there's still not any guile-2.0 packages in linux distributions?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:24:14 +0400

CRLF0710 wrote:
> Guile 2.0 has been there for some time. Why there's still not any
> guile-2.0 package in linux distributions?

There's a Guile 2.0 ebuild in Gentoo Portage main tree, also Lisp team
provides ebuilds for building trunk version of Guile.

> Did they have trouble packaging it?

Building Guile 2.0 is not really different from building 1.x series, so
the answer is no.

There're several unresolved issues like uncertainty regarding slotting
(installing 2.0 along with legacy series; there's a collision between
the two in documentation files) or several ./configure flags (posix and
modules) which seem obsolete and can cause a failure while building
Guile. We're sensitive on providing people with all the handles to
configure their packages and in this case it's unclear whether the flags
are of no use anymore at all or just broken.
--
Happy Hacking.

http://dzhus.org