Re: bdw-gc includes in libguile.h

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: bdw-gc includes in libguile.h
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 19:44:04 +0100

Hi,

On Fri 25 Mar 2011 19:06, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I think we made a mistake in exposing bdw-gc.h to libguile.h users.
>> gc.h is quite scrupulous to not include it, but smob.h, inline.h
>> (sometimes), and pthread-threads.h pull it in.
>
> <libguile/bdw-gc.h> is intentionally pulled because our public headers
> use macros and inlines from <gc/gc.h>.

Right; I think this is a mistake, because it couples our external
interface too tightly to libgc's interface.

>> I think that in 2.2 we should not expose libgc interfaces in libguile,
>
> That would be great, but then ‘scm_cell’, ‘SCM_NEWSMOB’, etc. would
> need to do a function call, which we don’t want.  Even if we did want
> it, the change would break the ABI.

I realize this :)  That's why I am proposing it for 2.2, which will
(presumably) be ABI-incompatible.  I don't think inlining NEWSMOB et al
actually buys us anything worth buying, so to speak.

>> and that in 2.0 we should disable pthread redirects.
>
> Why?

I think I addressed this in my other mail; perhaps we can continue the
discussion there.

> A meta-comment: can we agree to take more time to discuss this sort of
> things?  I’ll try to be responsive, and the earth won’t stop spinning if
> the fix waits a couple of days.  ;-)

Sure.  Sorry for the precipitous action.  That said, this bug has been
open since September:  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?32436

Regards,

Andy
--