Re: Using libunistring for string comparisons et al

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Using libunistring for string comparisons et al
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 16:08:25 +0100

Hello!

I have been sitting in the sun pondering all this for an hour or so now,
and there is a lot to say, I think.  But we should get this out of the
way first:

On Sat 19 Mar 2011 15:06, Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> As a meta-comment: I've grown rather weary from fighting this battle
> alone.  My hacking has completely stopped because of this argument.  To
> those of you out there who care about this issue, please let your voices
> be heard.  I know you're there, because a few of you stated your
> opinions rather strongly on IRC.  If others don't join in soon, I'm
> likely to soon give up on this, and be left with rather less enthusiasm
> for Guile than when I started, I'm sorry to say.

Have patience :)  We will get there in time.  The process of
consensus-building is work.  This is a very important decision to make,
and its engineering implications are large.  We've only been discussing
it for a week :)

Wide-ranging opinions are important, but ultimately the impacts of this
decision rest on the shoulders of the maintainers of this code, which up
to now has mostly been Mike, and to an extent Ludovic and myself.  It
goes without saying that we would be most pleased to have your
hack-power pointed in its direction, but we need to all be on the same
page.  There's no need for the "fighting battles" here; military
metaphors simply don't apply to hackers needing to understand each other
and talk over a problem.

If it's stressing you out, I suggest focusing on something else for the
meantime.  I suspect this thread will go on for at least a couple more
weeks.  At the end of it, whenever it ends, I hope we will all agree on
the right thing to do.

Peace,

Andy
--