summer of code project: cpan

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: summer of code project: cpan
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 12:45:14 +0100

Hello all,

Now that GNU is in the Google SoC, I'd like to propose again a CPAN for
Guile.  (It does needs a proper name, but that name doesn't have to
correspond to the name of the command-line utility; see my other mail
about "guido".)

The proposal would be to start from dorodango, and to use stowfs
locally.  We keep (largely) the dorodango network interfaces, but the
implementation exists in a Guile-specific project, with a non-dorodango
name (so as not to conflict with Andreas's more portable project).

Locally it uses something like stowfs and $XDG_DATA_DIRS, as noted in
the previous SoC thread.

The project can be developed outside of Guile initially, just
integrating by defining "guido" commands.  If everything works it can be
integrated within Guile itself.

Andreas, what do you think about this?  If you are happy with this I
would be most pleased to have you as a co-mentor.  As far as flavor
goes, I want to tie it to the Guile project (and indeed: I want it to
tie the Guile project together), but I would also like for it to support
portable repositories, so that you could "guido install" R6RS libraries.

Regards,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/