Re: Guile news for the GNU Status Report

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guile news for the GNU Status Report
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:23:27 +0100

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your feedback.

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>> Guile 2.0 is a breakthrough in Guile's history.  First and foremost, it
>> is based on a compiler and a virtual machine.  The compiler compiles
>> Scheme code to bytecode, applying well-known optimizations.  As a
>> result, Scheme code runs noticeably faster with Guile 2.0.  Compilation
>> can occur transparently: when the compiled form of a module is not found
>> in cache, it is automatically compiled before being run.
>
> People might assume that this means Guile is now less supporting of
> interactive programming than in previous releases.  I think it would be
> worth adding a sentence to clarify that this is not the case.  Perhaps
> "Note that Guile still supports interactive programming, i.e. modifying
> code in running programs, just as extensively as it has in previous
> releases."

In the meantime I had changed this paragraph to mention the REPL and
debugger:

  Guile 2.0 is a breakthrough in Guile's history.  First and foremost,
  it is based on a compiler and a virtual machine, and comes with a
  powerful read-eval-print loop (REPL) and debugger.  The compiler
  compiles Scheme code to bytecode, blah blah blah

How does this address your concern?

Normally the status report should have been published by now, but it
hasn’t, so I may/might still be able to change it.

Thanks,
Ludo’.