Re: repl debugger impressions

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: repl debugger impressions
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 20:00:47 +0200

On Sun, Oct 17 2010, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> And, if that filename:line:column were delimited by something
>> unique, for example curly braces, it would then be easy enough
>> to write an Emacs minor mode to pick up that filename:line:column
>> from the Geiser or Shell window and automatically center another
>> window on that file at that source line, the way the GDB GUD mode
>> does.
>
> +1
>
> I think we need input from the Gesier Meister here.  :-)

Well, the current format in which frame information is printed (when
requested by ,frame) in case of errors is already enough for Geiser to
jump to the error location: just try M-g n (next-error) when an
evaluation error happens, or set geiser-guile-jump-on-debug-p to t to
make jumping (after an evaluation outside the REPL) the default
behaviour (as Ludo knows, being the one who had the idea :)). To support
the new debugger, all that is needed is a way to distinguish whether one
entered the debugger as a result of an error (so that one's interested
in the current frame) or because of a breakpoint (and then the relevant
source info corresponds to the _next_ frame). I think Andy's planning to
make that information easily available at some point, and i was waiting
for that to add full support to Guile's debugger in geiser (including
things like setting a breakpoint in the current line/function &c.).

(I'm just being a little lazy, because i know it's already probably
possible to snarf that information from the repl object, but it's a bit
convoluted.)

Cheers,
meister jao
--
I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the
edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.