Re: repl debugger impressions

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: repl debugger impressions
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 15:10:57 +0200

Hi Mike,

Mike Gran <address@hidden> writes:

> -> Step into #<frame a1b2c3d4 #<procedure ...
>
> IMHO, Unless that hex number can be decoded via some command, it
> is just noise.

It’s not just noise because it allows you to distinguish, e.g., between
same-named procedures.  As for frame addresses, it allows you to know
whether you’re actually going down the stack or not, for instance (GDB
gives that info too.)  So I find it quite valuable.

Now, perhaps it could be formatted in a more human-readable way?

> Also, there is one feature that would make the debugger much
> more valuable to me.  If, after every ",step" or ",next", it
> printed out the filename:line:column, that'd be helpful.  I
> hacked on it a little, and I think it would be easy to do.

+1

> And, if that filename:line:column were delimited by something
> unique, for example curly braces, it would then be easy enough
> to write an Emacs minor mode to pick up that filename:line:column
> from the Geiser or Shell window and automatically center another
> window on that file at that source line, the way the GDB GUD mode
> does.

+1

I think we need input from the Gesier Meister here.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.