Re: About the old Guile tutorial

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: About the old Guile tutorial
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:13:35 +0200

Anton Vidovic wrote:
Hello all,

I've noticed that you removed the old tutorial from the website because it used
1.6 APIs.

I think you should keep it visible on the main website for several reasons:

1. gunplot, as nice it is, and I basically use it daily, is not a GNU package.
2. It is not GPL-compatible.
3. It is probably not even free software, as it does not allow the distribution
of modified sources.

IIRC, the old tutorial used plain X -- I'm not sure about the licensing conditions, but at least this is also not a GNU package, right? And you're right that the license does not really sound very "free", now that I read it in detail; thanks for pointing this out!

However, I did not know what a good alternative would have been -- but if you have one, I will be happy to adapt the tutorial when I find time to do so.

4. Having an old tutorial wouldnt make any damage, Mike Gran's Guile book,
which also references 1.6 only, is also still there.

and last but not least:

5. It was my first contact with guile back then and I wouldnt like it to simply "go
away", which would kinda feel like throwing away a old but nice book.

Plase reconsider putting the link back up.

I think this may really be a good idea, provided that there is some kind of prominent notice it is not only "old" but also uses deprecated API -- thus not only "old" in the sense that something "newer" is available but also that new users really should not learn the stuff using that one. I hope you understand what I mean here.

Yours,
Daniel